DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Friday, April 3, 2009

frozen food

ok. so it's friday... and I'm doing tasty tuesday. get over it. :)

yesterday was my friend's birthday and tomorrow we're going over to her house for some food, beer, and basketball (uconn's in the final four - GO HUSKIES!). so... I decided to make something that would really be a hit with everyone, but wouldn't take me a lot of time. I found the perfect little dessert... that I can't wait to dig into tomorrow: the buster sundae pie.
I found this recipe in my inbox a few weeks ago courtesy of pillsbury.com's celebration of pi day (on 3/14... get it?). as soon as I saw it, I knew it needed to be made. here you go!

crust
> 1 refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box), softened as directed on box

filling
> 4 c. (1 qt) vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
> 1/2 c. caramel topping
> 1/2 c. fudge topping
> 3/4 c. Spanish peanuts (4 oz)
> optional: additional peanuts, if desired

directions:
> heat oven to 450°F. bake pie crust as directed on box for one-crust baked shell, using 9-inch glass pie plate. cool on cooling rack 15 minutes. (note: obviously, it's a pillsbury recipe, so they'll reference their own product, but don't feel obligated)
> layer 2 cups of the ice cream in crust. drizzle with 1/4 cup of the caramel topping and 1/4 cup of the fudge topping. sprinkle with peanuts. layer remaining 2 cups ice cream over peanuts.
> freeze 4 hours or overnight.
serving:
> drizzle individual servings with remaining caramel topping and fudge topping. sprinkle with additional peanuts. cover and freeze any remaining pie.

so that's the pillsbury version... let me tell you what *I* did. :)

ingredients: pre-made chocolate pie crust, vanilla ice cream (softened), spanish peanuts, caramel syrup, chocolate syrup

directions: fill the bottom of the pie crust with some softened ice cream. throw a healthy handful or seven of peanuts onto the ice cream. drizzle the chocolate and caramel syrups over the peanuts. put some more of the softened ice cream on top. top again with another healthy handful of peanuts plus more chocolate and caramel syrup. put in the freezer and let set overnight.

the downside to using the pre-made crust is that it's an 8" crust instead of a 9" crust... and so mine maybe sort of kind of overflowed a little bit. BUT... that's just going to make it more tasty later, yes? so if you do use the pre-made crust, I would suggest putting it into a glass pie plate (9") foil and all so that you can catch some drippings.

ENJOY! :D



No comments: